Thursday, December 27, 2012

Think you may be bipolar?

Have you ever been told your crazy or get the feeling that somethings not right with you? Has anyone ever told you that they think you may be bipolar?

Well, I've had a lot people in and out of my life. The ones I wanted to keep close, the ones I loved the most. I pushed away. I couldn't understand why this was happening to me. I started to see myself going down a dark and destructive path. I did not want to admit that there was something wrong with me. I just thought everyone else was crazy and if I was bipolar it'd be confirmed I was crazy.

It wasn't until after I had pushed so many people away that I loved and had created so much devastation for myself that I had sought out help. I was fortunate enough to have serve in the United States Marines Corps making it easier than most to get treatment. I thought for sure they'd be able to help me because they have seen this type of thing a lot. After explaining to them how I was feeling and that I had a strong feeling that I was bipolar they didn't listen. They thought that I was just depressed and gave me medication for that. Well, I took the medicine they prescribed but it didn't help much. It actually made me jittery.

So not knowing any better I continued to take the medicine. It wasn't until I noticed that my symptoms were the same. I still had my highs and lows. But my lows were manageable. It wasn't until I lost someone that I deeply and truly cared about that I searched for a second opinion. I finally found a doctor who agreed with me and prescribed me the right medication and explained to me why the depression medicine was making me feel jittery. She explained that was one of the signs of people with bipolar being diagnosed wrongfully.

This is why I want to share my story of living with the infamous bipolar disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment